Sunday, January 25, 2009

A New Era ...

Last week, the 44th president of the United States of America was sworn it. As I watched it on TV, I was touched by the magnitude of the whole event. A Black President! Wow .. I was watching history being made, and it even brought a few tears to my eyes.

You may wonder how or even why it affected me in any way. I didn't vote for Obama to become the 44th President, I didn't work in his campaign and neither did I follow every step of his campaign from the comfort of my own home. Despite all that, I felt a sense of pride that I could be there to watch history being made.

There was hope in the air that things would change after he took office. But like Obama himself said, he is no miracle worker and things are going to get a lot worse before they can get better! So hopefully it doesn't take very long for things to turn around.

The austere environment of the inauguration was tempered by Obama starting his oath pre-maturely and the Chief Justice messing up the words of the oath. There was a moment of lightness during the swearing in ceremony. Obama also retook his oath the next day for just in case.

The funny thing is .. When I was listening to Obama making his inaugural address, I had a Deja vu feeling! I felt like I was watching the movie "Independence Day". The tone and the intonations were exactly the same as those of Bull Pullman in the scene just before they launch a worldwide counter offensive against the aliens.

Good Luck President Obama!

No comments: